Top 5 Code Editors for Programmers – 2017
Technology changing day by day and if you won’t follow latest trend, you’ll become outdated soon. You must go with technology trend, Here I have compiled Top 5 Code Editors for Programmers-2017.
As experienced programmer choose right code editor for producing and maintaining high quality code. As the number and style of writing code increases and new programming languages, it is important that the software developers must opt for the right editor to achieve the goal.
Top 5 Code Editors for Programmers – 2017
1. Sublime Text
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
You’ll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
Goto Anything: Use Goto Anything to open files with only a few keystrokes, and instantly jump to symbols, lines or words.
Multiple Selections: Make ten changes at the same time, not one change ten times. Multiple selections allow you to interactively change many lines at once, rename variables with ease, and manipulate files faster than ever.
Command Palette: The Command Palette holds infrequently used functionality, like sorting, changing the syntax and changing the indentation settings. With just a few keystrokes, you can search for what you want, without ever having to navigate through the menus or remember obscure key bindings.
Distraction Free Mode: When you need to focus, Distraction Free Mode is there to help you out. Distraction Free Mode is full screen, chrome free editing, with nothing but your text in the center of the screen. You can incrementally show elements of the UI, such as tabs and the find panel, as you need them.
Split Editing: Get the most out of your wide screen monitor with split editing support. Edit files side by side, or edit two locations in the one file. You can edit with as many rows and columns as you wish.
Plugin API: Sublime Text has a powerful, Python based plugin API. Along with the API, it comes with a built in Python console to interactively experiment in real time.
Cross Platform: Sublime Text is available for OS X, Windows and Linux. One license is all you need to use Sublime Text on every computer you own, no matter what operating system it uses.
Also see: How to Install Sublime Text 3 Editor in Ubuntu 14.04
Notepad++ is a free (as in “free speech” and also as in “free beer”) source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
* Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
* User Defined Syntax Highlighting and Folding: screenshot 1, screenshot 2, screenshot 3 and screenshot 4
* PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expression) Search/Replace
* GUI entirely customizable: minimalist, tab with close button, multi-line tab, vertical tab and vertical document list
* Document Map
* Auto-completion: Word completion, Function completion and Function parameters hint
* Multi-Document (Tab interface)
* WYSIWYG (Printing)
* Zoom in and zoom out
* Multi-Language environment supported
* Macro recording and playback
* Launch with different arguments
Also see: Install notepadqq (notepad++) editor on ubuntu 14.04, 14.10, 15.04
Atom is a text editor that’s modern, approachable, yet hackable to the core—a tool you can customize to do anything but also use productively without ever touching a config file.
Cross-platform editing: Atom works across operating systems. You can use it on OS X, Windows, or Linux.
Built-in package manager: Search for and install new packages or start creating your own—all from within Atom.
Smart autocompletion: Atom helps you write code faster with a smart, flexible autocomplete.
File system browser: Easily browse and open a single file, a whole project, or multiple projects in one window.
Multiple panes: Split your Atom interface into multiple panes to compare and edit code across files.
Find and replace: Find, preview, and replace text as you type in a file or across all your projects.
Also see: Install your favorite Atom editor on Ubuntu 14.04, 14.10, 15.04
TextMate brings Apple’s approach to operating systems into the world of text editors. By bridging UNIX underpinnings and GUI, TextMate cherry-picks the best of both worlds to the benefit of expert scripters and novice users alike.
Whether you are a programmer or a designer, the production of code and markup is hard work. Without an editor dedicated to the task, it is also often cumbersome, overwhelming, and repetitive. Especially when you are dealing with a lot of files at once — like most projects do. TextMate puts you back in control, reduces the mental overhead, and turns manual work into something the computer does.
* Ability to Search and Replace in a Project
* Auto-Indent for Common Actions Like Pasting Text
* Auto-Pairing of Brackets and Other Characters
* Clipboard History
* Column Selections and Column Typing
* Completion of Words from Current Document
* CSS-like Selectors to Pinpoint the Scope of Actions and Settings
* Declarative Language Grammars for Graceful Mixing and Hacking
* Dynamic Outline for Working With Multiple Files
* Expand Trigger Words to Code Blocks With Tab-able Placeholders
* File Tabs when Working With Projects
* Foldable Code Blocks
* Function Pop-up for Quick Overview and Navigation
* Plug-able Through Your Favorite Scripting Language
* Recordable Macros With No Programming Required
* Regular Expression Search and Replace (grep)
* Run Shell Commands from Within a Document
* Support for Darcs, Perforce, SVK, and Subversion
* Support for More Than 50 Languages
* Switch Between Files in Projects With a Minimum of Key Strokes
* Themable Syntax Highlight Colors
* Visual Bookmarks to Jump Between Places in a File
* Works As External Editor for (s)ftp Programs
* Works Together With Xcode and Can Build Xcode Projects
jEdit is a mature programmer’s text editor with hundreds (counting the time developing plugins) of person-years of development behind it. To download, install, and set up jEdit as quickly and painlessly as possible, go to the Quick Start page.
While jEdit beats many expensive development tools for features and ease of use, it is released as free software with full source code, provided under the terms of the GPL 2.0.
The jEdit core, together with a large collection of plugins is maintained by a world-wide developer team.
* Written in Java, so it runs on Mac OS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and Windows.
* Built-in macro language; extensible plugin architecture. Hundreds of macros and plugins available.
* Plugins can be downloaded and installed from within jEdit using the “plugin manager” feature.
* Auto indent, and syntax highlighting for more than 200 languages.
* Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
* Folding for selectively hiding regions of text.
* Word wrap.
* Highly configurable and customizable.
* Every other feature, both basic and advanced, you would expect to find in a text editor. See the * Features page for a full list.
I hope you liked this post, comment bellow which code editor you are using to make coding awesome 🙂